We independently research, review, and recommend the best products. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
I’m back again with some more tips to keep your garden looking spick and span. Today, we’re talking about one of the biggest bugbears of any green finger: weeds. I don’t need to tell you how annoying it is to find these plants sprouting up through cracks, flowerbeds, and veg patches.
But there’s a solution: landscape fabric. This material blocks out the sun and prevents weeds from growing, while still allowing water and air to circulate through the soil. They’re a godsend for lazy gardeners, like me, who don’t have the time or inclination to spend hours weeding every week. And best of all, they’re surprisingly easy to install.
So, without further ado, let’s run through 6 of the best landscape fabrics available on the market today. I’ve also included some advice about how to get started.
How we picked the best landscape fabrics
In this article, we considered several factors to find the best weed fabrics. First and foremost, we looked for landscape fabrics that were durable and designed to withstand longevity.
Ease of installation was another crucial factor. We wanted to highlight landscape fabrics that were easy to install, even for those who haven’t done it before. Additionally, we looked for products that were available in a range of sizes to accommodate various garden beds.
Finally, price. Aside from top-of-the-line products, we also wanted to include options at various price points to suit different budgets. With these factors in mind, we selected the seven landscape fabrics that we believe offer the best combination of durability, effectiveness, ease of installation, and affordability.
Agfabric Heavy-Duty Weed Barrier
The Agfabric Heavy-Duty Weed Barrier is made from a heavy-duty polypropylene material that comes in a variety of sizes to suit all garden projects. The fabric is UV stabilised, so it won’t degrade over time, and it’s easy to install with the included garden staples.
One of the standout features is its strength. Agfabric Heavy Duty Weed Barrier fabric is resistant to tearing and punctures, making it an excellent choice for use in high-traffic areas or under heavy mulch. The fabric is also designed to allow water and air to circulate through the soil, ensuring that your plants get the nutrients they need to grow.
Having used this product myself, be mindful that the material is slippery when wet, making it challenging to work with in rainy conditions.
- Heavy-duty material is resistant to tearing and punctures
- Comes in a range of sizes to suit all garden beds
- Easy to install with garden staples
- UV stabilized to prevent degradation
- Can be slippery when wet
Homesecret Weed Control Membrane
The Homesecret Weed Control Membrane is a premium landscape fabric that allows air and water to penetrate for worry-free irrigation. You’ll get around 5 years of use in direct sunlight, and it’s also suitable for greenhouses thanks to the woven black polypropylene.
It’s an ecologically safe alternative to herbicide use that’s affordable and UV stabilised, so it won’t degrade over time. What I particularly like about this product is that there’s a yellow guide strip every 12 inches that help align your plants.
The Homesecret Weed Control Membrane is 2m wide and 10m long, more than enough to cover an average-sized flower bed. Plus its 105 gsm material offers a thick barrier.
- Stops sunlight from aiding weed growth
- Woven design allows for air and water circulation
- Heavy-duty material is suitable for use in high-traffic areas and under heavy mulch
- UV stabilisation ensures the fabric won’t degrade over time
- More expensive than some of the other options on our list.
ECOgardener Pro Landscape Fabric
The ECOgardener Pro is a high-quality, environmentally-friendly landscape fabric. Made from non-woven, needle-punched material, this product provides exceptional water permeability while preventing weeds from growing through.
One of the standout features of the ECOgardener Pro Landscape Fabric is its eco-friendliness. It’s made from recycled materials and is free from harmful chemicals, making it safer to use. Installation is straightforward with the ECOgardener Pro Landscape Fabric and it’s easy to cut to size — you’ll get clearly marked guidelines to ensure a proper fit.
- Environmentally friendly and made from recycled materials
- Exceptional water permeability, allowing for healthy plant growth
- Long-lasting and cost-effective
- Easy to install and available in a range of sizes
- May not be suitable for heavy foot traffic areas
Flarmor Pro Landscape Fabric
This premium, heavy-duty landscaping fabric is made from non-woven material and features cutting-edge technology to tackle weeds. It works as an underlayer for artificial grass, vegetable patches, and flower beds, but can also be used with chippings, stones, and gravel.
The Flarmor Pro fabric is designed for wide application, featuring a geotextile material that’s biodegradable and prevents soil erosion. As such, I particularly like using this product on big landscaping projects (you’ll reach 6 Ft x 300 Ft). Its durability and resistance to UV rays make it a long-lasting solution for weed control.
- Heavy-duty material
- Wide application
- Environmentally friendly
- Easy to install
- Struggled to find any negatives
HOOPLE Premium Pro Landscape Fabric
For those of you who need a premium landscape fabric in a range of sizes, the HOOPLE Premium Pro is a great choice. It measures 3 x 50ft as standard but also comes in a variety of widths and lengths. What I like most about this product is how durable and heavy-duty the material is — you can use it under beds, mulch, pavers, edges, you name it.
Like a few other products on this list, it’s extra thick to minimise sun exposure, but I found it super easy to cut and install. Its brilliant water permeability allows for healthy plant growth, and its ability to block out weeds ensures that your garden stays looking beautiful.
- Available in a range of sizes
- Made from a thick, durable material
- Easy to install and cut to size
- Exceptional water permeability, allowing for healthy plant growth
- Effective at blocking out weeds
- May be more expensive than other landscape fabrics
Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven Geotextile Fabric
For a budget-friendly option, the Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven Geotextile Fabric is a great choice — you’ll get a foot of material for every £1! Despite its affordability, this landscape fabric is made from a heavy-duty woven material that’s designed to withstand harsh outdoor conditions. Plus, it’s highly effective at blocking out weeds, ensuring that your garden stays flawless.
The Mutual WF200 Polyethylene Woven Geotextile Fabric can be used under rip rap, gabions or precast block, boasting an affordable alternative to traditional methods that use graded aggregate or sand filters. This product prolongs surface life and stabilises the foundation while providing a rugged separation layer between aggregate and subgrade.
- An affordable option for budget-conscious gardeners
- Made from a heavy-duty woven material for durability
- Highly effective at blocking out weeds
- Allows for air and water flow through the soil
- Available in several different sizes
- May not be as long-lasting as more expensive landscape fabrics
Tips for laying landscape fabric
Using landscape fabrics is a great way to keep your garden weed-free and looking its best. To help you get the most out of your fabric, here are a few tips:
- Prepare your soil: Before installing your landscape fabric, it’s important to prepare your soil properly. Remove any existing weeds and debris, and add in any necessary amendments to ensure the soil is healthy and ready for planting.
- Install the fabric properly: Be sure to install your landscape fabric properly to ensure it’s effective. This means making sure the fabric is flat and secure, and that there are no gaps or overlaps.
- Choose the right mulch: Choosing the right mulch can help improve the effectiveness of your landscape fabric. Opt for a mulch that’s compatible with your plants and soil, and that will help retain moisture in the soil.